Category: Uncategorized

If you own a piece of property or am contemplating the purchase of property and want to build something or expand on an existing structure you will need to do a zoning check preferably with an architect in order to determine what is allowed. There are building codes rules as to lot coverage, allowable rear, side and front yards , height, parking and usage to name a few and it may be that your proposed project is not allowable under the applicable zoning.

If the project does not comply, the applicant will receive a denial letter which will list those sections of the building code that the project violates. You can then apply to the Board of Zoning Appeals for the municipality for a variance or relief from those sections and present your case to the board. You will need to notify the property owners that abut your property as well as those within a specified radius and additionally fill out a petition and various disclosures.

You will be given a hearing date to present your case to the Board which will vote on the application. A large consideration is whether the project is in character with the neighborhood as well as your personal economic hardship.

Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!